Friday, March 17, 2017

ACER 3810T Ubuntu some troubles and solutions

ACER 3810T Ubuntu some troubles and solutions


I had to replace my tried and trusted Asus W5A, with another subnotebook, and I decided to grow bigger and get an ACER 3810T, which is a great machine.


Being a Ubuntu fanatic, I ran into some serious problems trying to install Jaunty, but there is a great community, and I found all answers in the Ubuntu Forum.

But I always love to make things complicated, and spend my hours in airport lounges fiddling with the command line, and googling desperately for help, I upgraded to the beta version of Karmik, with the new kernel (2.6.30+).

At this point, I was stuck, because the Atheros driver could not compile, and I was therefore unable to use the Ethernet cable connection (how strange, it is normally the wireless which gives serious headaches).

After some research, I found the workaround again in the ubuntuforum

Here is the solution:
Before trying to install the Atheros AR81 driver, with the usual make - make install, you have to edit (with your editor of choice) the src/kcompat.h (inside the Atheros package).

In particular you have to search for

#define IRQ_HANDLED
#define IRQ_NONE

and change to

#define IRQ_HANDLED 1
#define IRQ_NONE 0

And then try the make / sudo make install, and after you reboot, eth0 will be there, happily running !
Thanks again ubuntuforum folks, especially BandedHawk!

Available link for download